I am aware it is still Summer. I am the person who emphatically espouses yearly that my birthday is officially in the summer, regardless that the vernal equinox follows only a couple of days later. So believe me, I well aware it is still Summer.
That being said, it’s officially Virgo season and this week I have noticed my personal markers for the coming season have begun:
- Waking up to darkness again at 5 in the morning.
- Being fully dark again by 9pm
- Enough leaves have begun to descend that the groundskeepers around my job are using already using leaf blowers to clean.
- I haven’t seen so many people wearing long sleeves since early May.
- Last night I closed a window because the cross breeze was a bit too cool to take.
I know we still have a month of regular summer, and there’s also Autummer* to go through later in the fall season. But these past few overly humid Canicular days are starting to get to me.
Come on sweater weather!!
*Autummer – what I dub what was once known as Indian Summer, which is no longer used out of respect to Native Americans. It is that brief, yet lovely, time of year mid-to late autumn, here in the US and Europe where after it starts to feel noticeably cold, it suddenly warms up for a few days. It is what summer should be: regular length days and acceptable heat, just before Jack Frost slips his fingers in to give a hint of what’s coming next.
Let’s see how others are chilling it out this Tuesday…
Slice of Life Tuesdays
Two Writing Teachers